Hey, decided to rewrite my “about me” section because it’s been 2 years and the old one made me want to barf.
My name is Ruby Walker and I am a 20-year-old writer and artist currently residing in central Texas. When I was fifteen I dropped out of high school because I was depressed. One difficult, memorable, amazing year later, I was laughing and singing in the kitchen again. Over the next two years, I undertook the project of writing and illustrating a book about my experiences with mental illness and recovery.
What am I doing now? Staying the hell home, mostly. I’m a sophomore at Trinity University, planning to major in studio art and minor in creative writing. I have big plans for a gay magical fantasy webcomic I haven’t touched in months, I miss hugging my friends immensely, and I’ve just finished a zine about love and the tarot called Love Readings.
What else should you know about me?
- She / they / he pronouns are all fine
- I post art on instagram @rubykatewalker
- I’m a single lesbian in possession of a good fortune, in want of a wife
- I don’t believe in astrology.
- That being said, aquarius sun, leo moon, cancer rising, aaaand my venus sign is aries (wink!)
- Publishing a book about my worst moments of despair and trauma during my first year at university was a bold move and I’m pretty proud of myself for that, honestly. But the book also represents all my best, most healing impulses, so I ended up feeling some strange pressure to prove to everyone how mentally healthy I was. You know, 18-year-old horseshit.
- I’m currently obsessed with the You’re Wrong About podcast.
- I live with my mom, stepdad, and my brother, who is my best friend and a menace.
- We have four dogs. I am allergic to dogs. I love them anyway.
- I once made out with a girl on the steps of a Baptist church.
- I got diagnosed with ADHD this year, so if you find yourself really vibing with my book, you might wanna like… get that checked out. Actually, I’ll extend that: if you relate to my book, see a doctor! I don’t see the fact that I never went to therapy until literally last year as some kind of point of pride, I see it as a sad mistake. Professionals know what they’re doing. I wish I hadn’t tried to work everything out myself. It’s okay to need help.
- Whew, now that the sad shit’s over with… I dyed my hair pink because I love Kirby.